Action needed: Summary
- poor decision making, leading to
- the burning of too much fossil fuel.
- honesty: tell the truth
- face up to the truth
- rational collaboration.
- action across all sections of society: radical cuts in emissions in high emission countries
- personal actions: radical cuts in emissions if personally high-polluting
Acknowledging the situationThere needs to be absolute honesty concerning
- the urgency of the situation
- the speed of emission cuts needed
- acknowledgement of past errors, so that they are not repeated.
People need to face up to the truth and approach it with rational collaboration.
Timescale of cuts in emissionsThe timescale for the emission cuts needed is given by the United Nations SR15 report, i.e. halving global greenhouse gas emissions by 2030, except that for several reasons, reductions in the UK needs to be faster:
- worsening climate data since the data considerd in the SR15 report
- legacy emissions
The type of target is crucial. There is currently a lot of discussion about the date at which the country will reach zero CO2 emissions (or net-zero), but this is an opportunity for prevarification if there is no discussion about how fast to reduce emissions this year, next year, and so on.
Action across all sectorsUrgent action is needed in all forms of energy use:
- home heating and appliances
- food production and delivery
- other manufacturing
Urgent action is needed from all elements of society:
- national governments - see document 6
- local governments - see document 7
- the media
- campaigning and not-for-profit organisations
First published 2007
Last updated: 15 Sep 2023